Friday, September 12, 2014

An Interview with...Anna Sudo

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mireio


Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find Anna here and here on Ravelry. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mireio


Where do you find inspiration?
I don't always get inspired in the same way. Sometimes it starts when I am inspired by something in the world like a texture or pattern I have seen some where in nature. Other times I have been looking through stitch dictionaries and something sparks a new idea for a design. And sometimes I just have two skeins of yarn that look amazing together and I then look for the best way to combine them.

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I love tubular cast ons and bind offs. I think they add so much polish to a garment. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/apis-dorsata


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I love to see what other designers are doing. Often times I think to myself I wish I'd though of that and because of that they do have an influence on me. This influence pushes me to think more about the quality of my designs and reminds me to strive to be the best designer that I can be. And I still feel that my designs represent my unique vision. 
How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
In my day job, I am a teacher. One thing I have learned teaching is that everyone has different needs and so I don't really agree that patterns are being "dumbed down". The information is being presented in a different way. I think each designer can choose what they are comfortable with in terms of how they would like to present information and that may mean that their patterns will appeal to some and not others. 

 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-staircase-mitts

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I have used test knitters in the past. It is always a fun and interesting experience to see how other people interpret or react to your patterns. 
Do you use a tech editor?
Yes, tech editors are an invaluable resource. Their critical eye helps to make your pattern better.
How do you maintain your life/work balance?
I still have a day job so knitting is still something that falls into the hobby category. I knit as much as I can when I can.


Add caption

How do you deal with criticism?
I think it is very important to listen to your critics to see what you can learn from them. Then I decide whether or not what they have said is something that is a valuable for growth or it is something that is more about personal preference.
How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?
It hasn't happened for me yet.
What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
Have fun and keep doing it as long as you feel fulfilled by it. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/olla

No comments:

Post a Comment