Monday, April 18, 2016

Update on De Quervain's Tenosynovitis



I'm knitting again but I'm choosing my projects very carefully. I seem to do better with yarns with good elasticity. In retrospect I had been working on a cotton top when the De Quervain's Tenosynovitis kicked in again. I've been doing the massage, stretching and rubber ball exercises that I mentioned in my last post on this topic. I think cables may be out for a while. At the moment I'm working on items with knit-purl texture stitches and I might be forced to try some plain old boring stocking stitch. I'll have to add stripes or something to keep me interested. I tried swatching a bulky yarn on a 10 mm. I was thinking a large needle might be easier but the pain started up by Row 8. If you want to know more about De Quervain's, there's more info on Pinterest here.

Many thanks to all of you who sympathized with my frustration. Since I started knitting again I'm feeling much more normal.


1 comment:

  1. I dealt with this about a year ago, when my younger one was around 6 months old. I had the brace, I was doing the stretching and the ibproufen and I basically just had to wait it out. It was awful....but the upside was that knitting didn't bother it. I wouldn't do it for long stretches, mostly as a precaution, but knitting really didn't bother me. I figured out how to do it with the brace on, which may or may not have been a good thing.

    Even now, a year later, it flares up for a day or so...and then it's gone.

    ReplyDelete