Friday, September 29, 2017

An Interview with...Corrine Walcher

 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/travelling-to-infinity-cowl



Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry. I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find
Corrine here on Ravelry.

Where do you find inspiration? 
Kind of everywhere. In nature, sometimes in film and books. My first published design was "Barrel Riders", inspiration taken from a chapter in "The Hobbit" where the Company escapes King Thranduil's halls in barrels.

What is your favourite knitting technique? 
I love designing with cables. 
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/beorn-e-book

Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs? 
I'm not afraid of being influenced, and I appreciate the ingenuity and beauty of other designers. I'm pretty classic in my design and I'm always amazed by new techniques.

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself? 
My main sample knitter, Genia, is a god-send. Between the two of us we have a handle on the samples. I also use other sample knitters occasionally, but my working relationship with her is a rare gem.
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-doctors-wife

Did you do a formal business plan? 
Not at all. I do what I like.

Do you have a mentor? 
No. I stumbled into design sort of by accident.

Do you have a business model that you have emulated?
No. 

Do you use a tech editor? 
Testers tend to catch any errors. I scale all of my patterns for size myself; I have the math checked by someone who also catches typos. 

How do you maintain your life/work balance? 
It's difficult when your hobby is your work. My eldest is on his own and my younger son is in school, so the hours between drop-off and pick-up are dedicated to work. I don't work full-time by any means! 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kristin-3


How do you deal with criticism? 
I haven't really had any, aside from the occasional error knitters find in my patterns. The number one complaint I have is "this doesn't match the size it says it will"; in every case, it has been a matter of the knitter not swatching (and blocking the swatch).

How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?  
I am envious of those who can support themselves by knitting design, but those people are few and far between. I'm not sure envious is the right word, as I'm pleased for them. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/avenir-cardigan


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?  
I would not encourage anyone to go into any fiber art looking to get rich. It's a great community and I have the support of many wonderful people. I have fostered working relationships and friendships that I would never have had if it weren't for knitting, and I cherish them.

What’s next for you? 
I don't really know what's next, but isn't that part of the fun?
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/danseuse-top

No comments:

Post a Comment